Calories per serving: 196
Total Fat: 4g
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 poblano pepper or large green pepper, diced
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) white beans (like Great Northern), rinsed and drained
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Avocado, diced
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
*Note: Go easy on the garnishes, as they will add to your calorie count.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a round, 5-quart slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until rippling and hot. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth and stir in the cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred into bite-sized pieces. Stir in the rinsed and drained beans. Cook on high for 30 minutes until beans/soup are heated through. Stir in the lime and cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with garnishes.