When you get asparagus popping up in the garden, you know that it’s springtime! Try putting your fresh veggies into this delightful dish from Cooking Light.
Calories 283 Protein 10.5 g Serves 8
- 4 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 1/2 pounds), divided
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place 1 cup asparagus and 1 cup broth in a blender; puree until smooth. Combine puree, remaining 2 cups broth, and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining puree mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in remaining 3 cups asparagus; cook 2 minutes.
Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, cream, salt, and pepper. Transfer risotto to a bowl. Serve with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Total Fat 7.7 g
Saturated Fat 4.4 g
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Protein 10.5 g