These quick and easy mushroom and sausage mini quiches are low in saturated fat, low carb and gluten free. They are great to make ahead of time for a quick breakfast when you are on the go. You can enjoy them as an afternoon snack or to get a boost in protein. Check out the original recipe from EatingWell.
Calories 104 Protein 8g Serves 12
- 8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325; coat a non-stick muffin tin generously with cooking spray.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan and then add mushrooms, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese, and pepper.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture up evenly among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of sausage mixture into each cup.
- Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over, and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.
Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze up to one month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds.
Another tip, a good quality non-stick muffin tin will work best for this recipe, otherwise line a regular muffin tin with foil baking cups. The ingredients are simple and can be substituted for what you have on hand. Try different sausages or cheeses, using a higher fat milk will cause the quiches to fluff up a little bit more.
Serving Size 1 Quiche
Total Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 3g