Looking for a recipe that is high in protein but low in calories? Try out these super yummy Buddha Bowls with Tasty Peanut Sauce from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe! Listen to Mel… “It’s simple: fill up a bowl with flavorful, good-for-you ingredients, smother with a tasty sauce (or two), and dig in.”
Calories per serving 343 | Protein 24 g | Yields 1 serving
For more tips and tricks on this recipe, visit Mel’s website here.
- 1 ½ cups quinoa (see note)
- Chicken broth or water
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and black pepper, I use coarse for both
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger or ginger paste (see note)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 seedless/English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 to 3 cups baby spinach
- Diced avocado
- Chopped, fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter or tahini
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or toasted sesame oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce, optional, but adds great flavor and a little kick
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water. (Here is how I cook quinoa in the Instant Pot)
- While the quinoa cooks, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the sweet potatoes and onion on a large sheet pan with a tablespoon of oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tender, 20 minutes or so, flipping once or twice.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds until sizzling (don’t let the garlic burn). Pat the chicken pieces dry and add them to the skillet, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until cooked through 5-6 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- For the dressing, whisk or blend all the ingredients together until smooth (this can be done several days in advance; refrigerate the dressing).
- Add a scoop of cooked quinoa to serving bowls. Add roasted sweet potatoes, onions, chicken, handful of spinach, diced avocado, chopped cucumbers, and a sprinkle of cilantro. Drizzle dressing over the top and dig in.
Yields 1 serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Total Carbohydrates 34 g
Protein 24 g