It’s that time of year – comfort foods and Fall flavors are finding their ways into everyone’s menus, but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Recipes such as this one from Healthier Steps are proof that you can have warm, cozy flavors without packing on the carbs. This mildly sweet and savory dish can easily work as a side (or even a snack) or paired with protein to make it a meal.
Calories per serving 264 Protein 7 g Yields 4 servings
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare baking sheet with lightly oiled baking parchment.
- Place Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, olive oil, garlic, maple syrup, lemon juice, smoked paprika, and salt in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread veggies in a single layer on baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes (turning halfway), until tender.
- If needed, you can toss the vegetables and seasonings in advance and store them in the refrigerator for a few hours before roasting.
- Feel free to play around with the seasonings and adjust them according to your tastes. For example, if you like a little more heat, you could easily add it with just a dash of cayenne powder.
Yields 4 servings
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Total Carbohydrates 46 g
Protein 7 g