Summertime comes with beautiful vegetables! Put those vegetables in this delicious salad that’s packed with protein and flavor that will feed the whole family. Check out the original recipe on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe to see additional tips and tricks for this recipe.
Calories 648 Protein 50g Serves 6
- 1 1/4 cups dried orzo pasta (about 8 ounces)
- 4 to 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 2 pounds (see note)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 to 2 medium zucchini (about 12 ounces) cut into long sticks (about 4 pieces per zucchini)
- 1 to 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 large limes)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse, kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper (I use coarsely ground)
- 2 cups baby arugula (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (optional but delicious)
- 1/2 to 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook orzo according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium- or medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides lightly with salt and pepper (see note below about marinading chicken). Grill the chicken until cooked through, 4-5 minutes per side until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F at the thickest part of the chicken. Let rest 4-5 minutes before cutting into bite-size pieces or thin slices.
- If your grill is big enough, add the zucchini while the chicken is cooking. Grill the zucchini until crisp-tender about 8-10 minutes, turning once or twice. Coarsely chop the zucchini into bite-size pieces. (See note below about cooking the zucchini in a skillet)
- For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, add the orzo, arugula, basil, corn, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. Lightly toss. Add the grilled chicken on top and sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad.
- Serve immediately with the dressing alongside OR drizzle the dressing over the top of the entire salad and toss.
Total Fat 19g
Saturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrates 71g