Skipping the carbs this winter? You’ll never even miss traditional pasta with this amazingly delicious spaghetti squash spaghetti bake recipe from our favorite Mel’s Kitchen Cafe!
Calories per serving 369 | Protein 24 g | Yields 6 serving
For more tips and tricks on this recipe, visit Mel’s website here.
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey, (CAN LEAVE OUT FOR MEATLESS DISH)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon coarse, kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 cups cooked spaghetti squash, (about 680-708) grams, about 2 small-medium squashes or 1 large drained of any excess liquid/water (see note)
- 1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet (see note) over medium-high heat, cook the ground meat, onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks, until the meat is not longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in the tomato paste, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for about a minute, until the mixture smells fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked spaghetti squash noodles to the skillet (if it’s big enough; if not, transfer the sauce and spaghetti squash to a baking dish) and toss/stir to evenly combine. Pat the mixture into a somewhat even layer. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese and spaghetti are bubbling. Let rest for 10-15 minutes out of the oven before serving (the longer it rests, the less liquidy it will be).
Yields 6 servings
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Total Carbohydrates 21 g
Protein 24 g