Although attracting new members may be the lifeblood of a health club, studies show that successful clubs find a way to generate income from current members. According to the International Health and Racquet Sports Association (IHRSA), approximately 36% of a club’s revenue should come from non-dues revenue.
Programs have proven to be consistent sources of revenue because they can be flexible with current trends, they can be customized to your members and your facility, and you can reinvent them as needed. “Programs” are anything from a Biggest Loser competition to beginning tennis lessons. Here are 3 steps I believe are key to choosing the right program for your facility:
- Identify the types of members you have and what types of programs would entice them to sign up. Enthusiastic, hard core athletes may be inclined to join a competition. Seniors may be looking for something social in nature. The reluctant client may find encouragement in support groups. Or your committed attendees may be looking to learn something new.
- What strengths do you have that you can leverage? What expertise do you have on staff? Nutrition, dance, training? For instance, could you utilize the expertise of a personal trainer to manage a program? Not only does this bring credibility to the 6 or 12 week program you are offering, it also affords the trainer the opportunity to establish relationships with clients that may then lead to training sessions. This is a win-win.
- Differentiate yourself with unique value propositions. Do your research and see what your competitors are offering. Don’t fall into the trap of offering the same old thing. If your clients are experiencing something unique, fun, and effective, their program experiences will be what they talk about with friends and co-workers.
At KORR, we have developed materials to help you create programs around the science of VO2 Max testing. Starting with step-by-step instructions of how to plan the event, to the banners, posters, and flyers, we have done the heavy lifting for you. And consider the steps covered above:
- You can hire your Personal Trainers to run a program based on VO2 Max testing, saving yourself the expense of bringing in someone new.
- VO2 Max is scientifically sound yet exciting technology. It certainly allows you to differentiate yourself in the marketplace.
- VO2 Max with CardioCoach can be the foundation of a program for the reluctant exerciser who might be contemplating their first 5 K, or for weight loss support groups, or for hard core tri-athletes. Meet the needs of all types of members and drop profits directly to your bottom line.
To view samples of KORR’s program materials, click here. Download “VO2 Max Based Programs”